Nassagaweya was surveyed in 1819 with settlers arriving soom afterwards from England, Ireland and Scotland. A Sabbath School was established in Knowles School House (on Hutcheon’s Hill) in the early 1830s; the church was established in 1836. The first church building was a frame building which was erected in 1839. The stone building we meet in today (now a recognized historic building) was built in 1861.
In 1869, 58 people from Nassagaweya established St David’s Presbyterian Church in Campbellville. Nassagaweya and St. David’s operated as a two-point charge (i.e. where two congregations are served by the same minister) from that time until November 2004. Many ministers have served Nassagaweya and St. David’s well through the years. A few names that stand out are: Archibald Blair, who stayed at Nassagaweya/St. David’s for 30 years (1885-1915) during which time the congregation numbered 204 members; Mary Farmery (1976-1979), the first female minister to serve the charge; Desmond Howard (1980-1990), Glen Soderholm (1991-2004), whose gifts and leadership helped us begin the transition into a 21st century ministry and then Sean Howard (2004-2011).
In 2004, St. David’s & Nassagaweya Presbyterian petitioned the Presbytery of Brampton to divide the two congregations into two pastoral charges. The petition was approved and the two congregations separated each having its own minister, yet they continue to work together to serve this community.
In 2013, Nassagaweya called Reuben St. Louis who has continued to strengthen the congregation’s identity as a vibrant, family-friendly community of faith. Over the last 6 years, the congregation has grown to include more families (25% growth), to offer new programs (Trunk-or-Treat, March Break Camp) and to form new partnerships in the community and with other congregations (Week of Guided Prayer, Canada Day Worship Service). All this growth has prompted the congregation to renovate the fellowship hall in 2018 into a welcoming community space.
We are thankful for our long history and all that God has done for us and through us here at Nassagaweya but we know that God has more in store. Therefore we are committed to continuing our mission of reaching out to our community with the good news of God’s love. We believe that true fullness of life is found and experienced as fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ, and that God calls the church to connect in a vital and meaningful way with its neighbours and community. We are excited and energized by what God is doing and will do among us.